If you had any doubts about the seriousness of insomnia in this day and age, you may be surprised at some of these enlightening facts and figures:
- People sleep 20% less than they did a century ago.
- Almost one-third of the global population suffers from insomnia.
- More than 50% of people over the age of 60 struggle with bouts of insomnia on a regular basis.
- Over 10 million Americans use prescription or OTC sleep aids.
- The Institute of Medicine estimates that hundreds of billions of dollars are spent on treating sleep disorders each year.
- The U.S. industry and commerce loses more than $150 billion each year due to sleep-deprived workers and their corresponding mishaps.
- According to the National Sleep Foundation, almost 60% of people admit to driving while drowsy, and 37% have fallen asleep while behind the wheel.
As you can see by now, insomnia has become a serious issue, and this is why we need to handle it in a caring and constructive manner, for deep sleep is the focal point of a healthy, vigorous lifestyle. Therefore, if you find yourself caught in the grips of incessant insomnia, it’s important to avoid dangerous medications, supplements, and other dependence-inducing sleep aids; otherwise, you’ll run the risk of exacerbating the problem and developing additional maladies that stem from prolonged drug use.
This brief article highlights the importance of today’s weighted blanket insomnia products by describing how they can help you revitalize your sleep routine and finally fall into those refreshing REM cycles.
Do Weight Blankets Actually Help?
A few years ago, Gaby Badre of Gothenburg University conducted an extensive study in an effort to understand the somewhat obscured weighted blanket insomnia matrix. After evaluating 31 patients with chronic insomnia, he came across some very edifying and illuminating data:
- Over half of the individuals experienced a significant positive effect, marking a substantial 50%+ rate of effectual treatment.
- They tossed and turned less during the night.
- The patients reported they found it easier to calm down due to the secure feeling of the weighted blanket; likening it to an infant’s swaddle.
- Weighted blanket insomnia coverings, when placed directly on the skin, have a positive neurological effect on the brain, increasing serotonin production as well as melatonin production.
- The study confirmed what scientists have long surmised: weighted blankets provide deep pressure therapy, which encourages palliative feelings of tranquility and reinforces healthy REM sleep.
The Modern Weighted Blanket
Apart from the positive neural effects, these blankets are also extremely cost-effective, especially when compared side-by-side with exorbitant sleep aids, OTC drugs, and other aggressive treatment options. But before you order your very own weighted blanket, it’s in your best interests to understand what these novel products actually entail:
- An ergonomic weighted material, such as beads or pellets.
- Independent fabric chambers to prevent bunching and clumping.
- Wipe-able, waterproof, flame retardant, antibacterial, and breathable.
- Eco-friendly composition, oftentimes fabricated with natural cotton, organic hemp, reprocessed polyester, or woven bamboo.
In its simplest form, a weighted blanket is able to positively impact brain waves, emotions, and stress levels throughout the evening, which is why it’s such a fantastic tool to use in the arduous fight against insomnia.